Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Reviving a commission

Several years ago I was asked to print a small wall piece as a farewell gift for the Chairperson of a Board.  A week or so ago I was asked to do another one - along the same lines, for another farewell.

I went back and tried to find photographs and other details of the work I had done but there didn't seem to be a lot around.

Eventually I found a proof which was a big help.

And so I set about replicating it. And it was slightly trickier than I had thought it might be; and I was grateful I had kept some pretty good notes.

So I went and found all the type - the different typefaces and the sizes, as well as quite a few spaces.

I measured the width of each line on the proof and worked out what I was aiming at - but it took several goes to get the spacing right.

My first carbon paper proof against the older work, and I realised that I must have left the metal furniture out between the lines of type in the original, as the text there was tighter.


At this point I wished I had taken a photo of the locked up chase previously so I would know for sure.

Note to self...

Here is the photo this time with the interlinear metal furniture.


Did I prefer the loose or the tight look? I inked it up and compared.


And went with the tighter look.

Here is the photo with the the interlinear metal furniture removed! Just in case there is a next time.

May I say those plastic tweezers are so helpful when lifting small bits of metal away from small type and trying desperately not to have the whole block tip over and scatter!


Inking was fun.  After proofing with black I thought it would be nice to go with one of the greens that form part of the organisation's logo.

I had done some calligraphic work for them previously with the green and it  had been well received.
And so to colour-mixing. A little bit of this and a little bit of that.


Because it is only the larger typeface that gets inked in colour I tried to make sure the ink didn't bleed onto the lines above and below.

Sticky taped paper barely works in case you ever need to know.


However, this non stick painter's tape is a dream to work with and goes on and off easily and doesn't move once in place. Another note to self.


Inked up and no bleed...


Testing the colour mix to the logo and deciding that it works fine.


And then ta da as they say in the classics.  A couple of prints that worked. One to the framers and two just to send in case they want to use them again as gifts in the future.



In case you are wondering.  The organisation (McAuley Community Services) provides services to homeless women.  They have four guiding principles: compassion, justice, community and hospitality.

Working with the CEO, we determined that the first three lines - family violence, women and homelessness are experienced, then their interaction with McAuley (justice) enables them to afterwards experience safety, home, wellbeing and a sense of feeling brave.

You may recall the work I did for their new building around the meditation and reflection room, and the life fragments...

It is always an honour to work with this organisation.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I love working with these women, they do such a marvellous job and always consider art part of healing...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.