Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Continuing with calligraphy

 Having been a bit excited by the calligraphic play I finished up with in my journal back here, I wanted to see if I could expand the notion a bit.

So I got out some better paper, drew some lines, sketched the letters in pencil and then drew the words with a fine liner pen.


Thinking that at some point I might like to try and cut the letters out of paper, I thought to thicken the lines and try to attach the dots above the 'i's. no pencil this time, hence the slightly angled lines. Done with a 3mm calligraphy marker.


Together the page was looking good, although I did write many an edit/idea on the second one.


I wanted the G to be wider to balance the N+ E at the other end better, but overnight I dreamed of curves and tried them out a bit.

 
And no, the F will not continue below the line!

I then coloured it in. Interesting.


Having played with curves and filling in bits of letters, in the same night time awakening I remembered I had some ideas from my online works shop with Brody, back in December-January. I followed up with one of them, using a William Mitchell #5 nib. Handwriting to extended and looping writing to filled in pieces. And ink blots.



To finish them off and see them properly, I went and rubbed out all the pencil lines.


I used some white-out correction fluid to hide the blots a bit.


 
I didn't rub out my notes to self.


And was very happy with the options that were appearing. I am not sure how they might be used, but there  is some lovely imagery within them.

I was over printing some peace weather grams in between times and as I cleaned up, I thought to myself - why is it that such lovely random marks can appear as one cleans; but rarely when one tries?



2 comments:

  1. intentional versus random marks ... and I'm thinking many of us might manage to find our way to random, but the intentional marks are your gift .. as is your sharing of the process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so very kind Liz and a good reminder to acknowledge and recognise your gifts without always wanting to be something other than you are...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.