Sunday, July 2, 2023

Speaking of pebbles...

 As mentioned previously, I am trying hard not to get ahead of myself; and instead am trying to spend time exploring the notion of pebbles and stones.

I asked myself the question - how many ways/techniques can you use to make pebbles?

This led me to think about fabric; appliqué, hand stitching, machine stitching...the list went on.

So I spent a lovely afternoon hunting through my fabric stash and trying to find some fabric that felt like it had pebble potential.

I found quite a few fabrics that I had tea dyed with rust so many years ago in fact 10 years ago, and which I had re-discovered and sorted out just last year.  These soft fabrics felt like they might work and toned together beautifully.  Also some fabric a friend had gifted me was added to the group.



I got a few others out that I had printed with a corn cob, also a few years ago and think that the calico might work, and possibly the grey at a pinch; but that the dark grey with its black weft or warp would be too much. Always good to check these things.


And so I began to blind-base two layers of the lovely soft fabric together. 


This takes time, but I was lucky enough to be travelling on a plane during the week and had some time to simply sit and stitch.


I had that moment, as you do, going through security and hoping that they wouldn't mind my needle and my quick unpick. I chose my oldest quick unpick (1978 I bought my first sewing machine, second hand, and it had this with it and at that point it was fully intact) and hoped they would figure the damage I could potentially do with it would be very limited. And yes, I got through without question.


The back of the basting.

It will still be some time before I can actually start thinking about the pebble part, but I am pushing it along gently, and not racing ahead.

I feel as if I have actually slowed myself down and am now simply exploring techniques and possibilities, not attempting to solve and complete. This is good.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting ... I have layers of cloth already blind-basted together, dyed with pecan shells ... the resulting piece has been sitting for quite some time now (let's see ... Parker is six, that means close to seven years as it began as a crib quilt) ... so I'm watching to see where your experiments lead you ... hoping they might prime my own

    and I much prefer "quick unpick" to "seam ripper" ... sounds gentler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if somebody had asked me for a seam ripper I would not have been sure what to hand them! A quick unpick has a much lighter ring to it. Yes, the basting will eventually happen here as well (too busy unknotting thread and re-winding it at the moment) but your pecan dyed and prepped fabric sounds lovely - sometimes things take the time they take to becoming...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.