Thursday, June 29, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“The most demanding part of living a lifetime as an artist is the strict discipline of forcing oneself to work steadfastly along the nerve of one’s own most intimate sensitivity.” 

Anne Truitt.

Somehow for me, these words take you to the vulnerability and exposure that making art and showing it can create. They speak too of discipline, of investigation, of going deeply into difficult territory at times to express something.

Whilst not all art is about difficult subjects, I think that what she says suggests that by working with what cheers you, or brings you joy also takes persistence to investigate and express. That showing and sharing these things can also be demanding.

It seems to me as if determination and persistence are key for her; and that she suggests it is demanding to continue to work in this manner, unflinching and not turning away from your sensitivities.


Ireland, 2008, no other recorded detail. 

2 comments:

  1. This part hit home ...

    “the strict discipline of forcing oneself to work steadfastly along the nerve of one’s own most intimate sensitivity.”

    as I am a very disorganized person who chose to be a librarian of all things ... my love of books overcoming all else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most compelling of lines isn't it Liz? I love all the imagery and sensory experience it evokes. I love how the love of books overcame all for you!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.