Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Watercolour pebbles

 After doing my swatches and starting my first pebble circle, I let it dry and then went and worked back into the pebbles.

First of all I rubbed out the outline.


Then I began to work over the top of the initial wash, oftentimes leaving a thin, lighter line like a stripy pebble might have. Again, this was from the video.


For a non-painter I was pretty happy with how this worked out, and definitely was getting better by the end.


The next day I turned my mind and my brushes to a warmer palette and created the same size circle and once more began to paint pebbles.

This time I focussed on not working from the outside in and ending up with small holes near each other. I think I got the balance better here; but some pebbles still appear a tad contrived.

Waiting to dry.


Again, I rubbed out the pencil outline and over-worked the pebbles to create a few more stripy ones. I think it is amazing how the lines really lift the work and make it much more interesting.


I also think I got some interesting colour-blended tones across the pebbles; again more interesting.


I need to go back to the video and see what else I could have done - something about shadows I think!

Here are the two circles on a sheet of A4 watercolour paper - good samples and reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.