Thursday, June 15, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“Walking itself is the intentional act closest to the unwilled rhythms of the body, to breathing and the beating of the heart. It strikes a delicate balance between working and idling, being and doing. It is a bodily labor that produces nothing but thoughts, experiences, arrivals” 

Rebecca Solnit

I am pretty sure there are tomes written about walking - the meditative nature of it, the benefits of it, what happens when we pack up a life and simply walk towards something; or away from something.

With these words Ms Solnit has me thinking about the rhythm of walking and how it approximates the breath and beats of our bodies. That notion rings true to me and deep within I recognise something.  

Her description of its purposefulness and its purposelessness as a balancing act is also spot on. The older I get, the more I realise that one of our jobs is to understand and to hold differing thoughts, notions and experiences. To learn and accept the two differing things can be true at the same time.

With walking it does feel like working and idling, being and doing. Such a lovely way to think about the walks we do daily.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.