Thursday, June 1, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.” 

 Anne Lamott

I love most every thought contained in this paragraph; and feel as if Ms Lamott has described my love for books perfectly, and for all the reasons.

Two things in particular I really like.

1. The imagery of world after world unfolding...I saw all sorts of things lifting off the pages and drifting into the air before me; I saw pages unfolding forever in different directions with so many world emerging. 

2. The way books show us what community and friendship mean.  I like this part because I hadn't thought so much about community; and yet books do build communities - with people who read the same books; who discuss the books, who share the books; who sell the books; who buy the books and then buy them for others.  

Our small team of merry booklovers (Celebrating Books Maleny) hosted the Sydney Writers Festival streaming sessions again this past weekend and a few days beforehand. It was a joyful community event - bringing people together to listen, to talk and share the joy of reading and writing. 

Our next event is the Maleny Big Book Club in August - another great chance for community-building with books!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.