Thursday, June 8, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“Pare down to the essence, but don't remove the poetry.” 

Leonard Koren

I think these words are poetic in themselves. They encourage us to narrow things, to reduce things, to allow things to simply be at or in or of their essence, which I find is often how I do things.

The trick tho is in the last part where they make you realise that sometimes paring back can leave you with nothing of interest; nothing with heart; nothing with poetry still within it. At times like that the work is empty, stagnant, lifeless.

Always make sure the poetry remains...


Pebble ripples...

4 comments:

  1. This is what I strive for in my work as well but I didn't have the words to explain it - so often I'll be completely satisfied with something I've done but then I begin to wonder if it isn't too plain, if the simplicity is perhaps just too simple. This quote is a perfect question for times like that so thank you for choosing it for today's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for some of us, that is the evergreen dilemma - have I left so much out that it says nothing or is bland? I am quietly confident, that most of the time, my simplicity still holds some poetry. It is indeed a nice way to think about it and something we can hold onto when our confidence wavers!

      Delete
  2. the pebble is lovely and rest assured: the poetry is still there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it can sometimes leave me wondering. I really do like 'less' in my work...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.