Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Answering Yes

So I went back into the studio to try and sort my head about how best to layout the YES posters. Click here if you want to read the ramblings I have previously undertaken around these...

I ended up going with the stepped small YES in the top right and kept the rest pretty much as it was. 


The next challenge was trying to work out how to print the colours of red, black and yellow - which YES would be which colour?

I didn't want all the large YES blacks to be a single colour, so I tried a diagonal.


I tried two red and two yellow and just couldn't work out how to make them balanced well.



And then I hit on the idea of printing the three bands as they appear on the Aboriginal flag - black at the top, yellow circle through the middle, and red on the bottom.


At which point I left the studio to return another day. 


When I went back, I moved the magnets out of the way and started to ink up. It was bit of a weird printing day - the ink was thick and sticky and everything was a bit hit and miss. But that doesn't explain why I inked up in the wrong order, didn't notice and just printed. Red, yellow, black, rather than black, yellow, red.


So the first 20 are like this. 


In the end I think it's OK because the colours are indicative; it's not actually a flag and I am pretty sure the general feel of the message still gets across. If I print more I will print them in the order of the flag.



1 comment:

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.