Sunday, December 6, 2020

Printing fabric

 Well I honestly don't really know where this came from - one of those moments where a bunch of disparate thoughts/notions/threads came together with opportunity and we were off!

I have been thinking about stitching a small needlecase; so was rummaging through scrap fabric.  I was at home. It is summer. I saw somewhere (and honestly have no recall of where despite trawling through the likely places) an image of a corn cob. What else could possibly happen?

So I went to town and bought a cob of corn, and peeled it. It seems odd to say peel; but that was indeed the action.


The scene is set (the concrete alphabet letters are a distraction - they are acting as paper and fabric weights)


Step 1.


This was a mistake - I didn't hold the fabric down well enough as I rolled.


And these are the results!



Hanging out to dry, then be ironed, then be washed.






It worked on all sorts of fabric and now I have a motley collection of marks to include in my stitching!

4 comments:

  1. These are interesting, I love the look of the base of bok choy printed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fascinating Penny - I can see it in my mind's eye. I really enjoyed this corn printing - I got that absolute excitable sense of delight as they emerged, and that is gold! Go well.

      Delete
  2. wait, what? concrete letters? how intriguing

    and I love the painted results ... the random-not-randomness of them ... reminding me somehow of moon phases in series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Liz - a summer project awaits...we have the moulds! The marks are remarkable; I too love htheirer sense of there/not there, half in/half out and just a little bit random. They truly delight me and make me happy!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.