Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“Books are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose. I am the happy victim of books.” 

 Karl Lagerfeld

I have had this quote in the pile for yonks; and always scroll by it.  I think I react to the sense of drugs and overdose and don't really like associating books with what can be traumatic. Like an overdose.

Funny isn't it? But today I scrolled by and then thought 'no go back and see what it's saying'. Stop flinching.

Because I think what he is saying is really that books can be addictive; they can absorb you; they can call you; they can keep you from doing other things; yet you are not placed in dangerous situations because of them.  Books probably won't kill you.  

Perhaps the link to drugs was deliberate - to link to that feeling of escape, of being high, of indulging yourself or something like it. 

I am pretty sure he loves books, and enjoys being captivated by them.


From the Design Museum in Copenhagen, 2008.

2 comments:

  1. a very thought-provoking quote

    I rarely read fiction, but when I do start on a really compelling novel (the Overstory comes to mind), I get so caught up that I neglect all else, including eating and sleeping (and here I'm thinking of a Dan Brown novel that kept me up all night before a job interview ... only to be a huge disappointment when I got to the lame ending)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sense of being consumed by the work, to the detriment of all others is powerful and intriguing. Good books can definitely take you away from yourself...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.