Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Tags, Type and baking

 If only I could have alliterated the baking in the title!

Tag-wise I have written more tags for Barry's spoons and ladles and spreaders.  Always lovely to see the combination as they head off to the shop. And of course - threads en masse always make me smile.


In the auction hype of a few weeks ago, we decided to go all out and picked up a couple of more random packets of type as well.

First up what looks like a full set of something - not sure yet what it is, but I think it will be a handy typeface to have around.

There was also this part-pack of something large and fancy! I have never heard of 76pt so will check it against some of our 72pt.



I imagine this could become a game or a puzzle trying to make as many words as you can using the limited letters in your pack - like type scrabble or something.

And then this.

A box that doesn't reflect its contents; and yet there is a hint in blue pencil: 6pt OE.


The box is a shambles; as some random small pointed typefaces are when they arrive.  I look at this lot and think - now that's for a rainy day.


The pencil marks did not lead us astray - it is tiny tiny wee. 6pt.


And even more amazing is that I think the OE stands for Old English as it look very black letter-gothic-Old Englishy to me (when I squint and look really really closely. I have never seen one of those types in such a small point size.  Reading it at 6pt will be a challenge! The one above is, I think, an X or a Z; the one below is an S I think.


Apologies for the close ups of printers hands and nails!

They were cleaner when I did this - began my Christmas baking.  Shortbread is a family tradition and I use my wee Scottish great grandmother's recipe. We make it in rounds and one must never cut it.  It can only ever be broken into pieces.


And I have no idea why. 

About now (aged 55) I wish I could sit with Little Gran, Gran and Mum and ask about these things; but it's now just down to me to keep the tradition happening...altho my niece is a bit keen to continue I think which is grand.

Still a few more to make and wrap and share around.

4 comments:

  1. Your typefaces are so fascinating! The compressed (?..I'm forgetting the correct term) sans serif should be very useful, but the script is especially beautiful. I'm interested to see how you use that tiny Old English. I can feel my brain fomenting unusual possibilities but will have to wait for your expressions. Your shortbread looks amazing. I have no self control with shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and sorry for my tardy reply - life at this time. The type is wonderful and yes it will give us lots of joy. That tiny type will be an on going project I think - eek! I love shortbread too and am always happy that I only make it at Christmas time - deadly otherwise! Go well.

      Delete
  2. ahhh, the return of the shortbread ... the wonderful cake-y kind we both love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Liz! Cake-y and rustic looking and oh so delicious!!!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.