Thursday, October 8, 2026

Thursday Thoughts...

"I think what I'm trying to do is create moments of recognition. To try to detonate some kind of feeling or understanding of lived experience” 

Barbara Kruger

This feels as if what I try to do with my artwork is seen.  As I read it, the moments of recognition part really resonated.  

In the end I think that is all I can do - make work that might just connect with somebody. They might get a glimpse of something, or nod, or go ah-ha when they view the work or read it.

Her use of the word detonate is far stronger than any I would have chosen. I might have gone for 'spark' some kind of feeling or understanding.

As I continue to reflect on it, my sense is that I perhaps am looking for more than simply a moment of recognition. I think I am looking for a moment of connection.  She suggests an understanding of lived experience; I perhaps am trying for a shared understanding of sorts.

Or am I? Can I really ask that folk have a shared or connected response to my family violence work? 

I think I can, because my work is about my anger at it; or my attempts to amplify the voices of victims and I I am sure many fork could connect to or share those.

I do enjoy when quotes set me thinking beyond my initial response; and this one is truly asking me to think more about my work; why I do it; what I am hoping for; what my intention is...and they are all good questions to be asking!


I think my recent conversations with women friends work has definitely brought about nods of recognition among women... so many women have pointed and gone "that's us" or "oh so true" and the like.  Lots of smiles of recognition, lots of shared experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.