Sunday, December 5, 2010

Book Art Object - developing ideas

I've mentioned here that I am participating in the Book Art Object project this time around and I am finding time in between all the general madness to think about the book, the poem and how it will all come together.

This is the first time I have had an edition to produce - at least 15 copies of the book.  That will make one for each member of my 'team', a couple to go in joint exhibitions, one to go to the author of the poem and a couple left over for me to hang onto, send to other exhibitions etc.

I have been scribbling down ideas and notes in books here and there whenever I think about it; and today I got the chance to sit and see if any of the ideas might possibly work. I started out with one idea; did a bit of a mock-up and thought no, I didn't like the interruptions between the text. I then did another one which required me to think long and hard about fronts and backs of pages and about each page as divided into 4 and where the different bits appear, and this one has more promise.

I find with both calligraphy and book making so much preparation and planning and trialling and testing go into a piece. At so many points along the way you can discover difficulties! I think both disciplines require patience and a willingness to accept that things can take a bit of time.

Here are a couple of shots of the scribbles today (transcription errors included).


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with this undertaking, F. One of my much-delayed projects I hope to get to this winter is to create a book featuring my poems and photos, and while it will be far from a handmade art object and will rely heavily on computer assistance, oddly, my initial mockups look a lot like yours laid out and played out on white sheets! It is so important to treat books of all kinds seriously, from birth to old age! I can see by the attention you are giving this one, it will be a fine creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, good luck indeed Fiona, sounds like quiet a challenge ahead of you, though I only know to well that the finished piece will be devine as all your works do. This devotion to detail is what makes the pieces hum so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TT/G - so true that these books deserve respect! I hope you get to your book this winter - I'm sure it will be gorgeous. It's fun to go back to pencil and paper and nut out how the thing should work and look.

    Kim - thanks for the lovely words! Some pieces do get a lot of attention to their detail - I like that the whole finished piece has integrity and things belong where they belong.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.