Thursday, August 24, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

“In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” 

Buddhist Saying

For a whole bunch of reasons these past few months have been challenging and tiring.  Our world sped up and we were stretched in so many directions, for so many reasons.  At many moments it felt as if we were only just keeping our heads above water.

And here now, as the spinning slows (doesn't stop) and things settle in small ways whilst much continues to move apace, it seems right to stop and think about these words.

In the end - these are the things that matter.

I imagine the end signifies the end of one's life' but just as a saying it makes sense as well, and I consider the words at the moment - at the end (maybe) of a difficult cycle.

How much you love/d - am I acting with love? Am I caring for folk? Am I doing things that are hard from a base of love? Am I showing love with my actions?

How gently you live/d - Am I moving through the world gently? Am I being kind? Am I avoiding harsh and angry words and ways? Am I not being cynical and hard?

How gracefully you let go of things not meant for you - Am I clinging to things that are not meant for me? Or can I recognise things that should be elsewhere? That are meant for someone else? Am I hoarding things?

I found these words a lovely gentle reminder at times when I am caught up in all the demands and worries of the world; that if I return to these I will be better able to do the things I need to do with love, gentleness and grace.


Peace flag from 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Letting go of self-righteousness has long been on my to-do list ... I'm still working on that one and probably will 'til the day I die. Here now the challenge to not only let go, but to do so gracefully.

    A call to action ... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz - I love what you said about giving up self-righteousness; it is so hard to do! I hadn't thought about it before you wrote, but I do now and think that it is a brilliant insight. And then to let go gracefully...go well.

      Delete
  2. love gentleness and grace pour out of you & Barry's hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely of you Mo - I think we both try, we stumble and fail, but we try again to do it well with grace and love and gentleness...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.