Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Calligraphic siblings

After a few trials here and there I came up with the way I wanted the pieces for Sydney to have calligraphic siblings.  I chose my own heartbeat font - it makes sense to use your own style - and I like the way the densely written lines make you work for it.

Lots of tracing and transferring are needed in the early stages. For those who like process - there is plenty in this!

I start by lining up my page with the master layout underneath, then taping the page in place. All very high tech.

Then its down to line up the master-lines and draw them onto the page. Tools of the trade.




And then the writing.  Once again, I want the reading of these words to be disjointed, difficult and to make you feel a bit twitchy about the lack of ease. I stop where I stop. Words are broken. Hard to read. Things left unsaid.




 My desk is a mess at the moment - I keep clearing tiny spaces to work in as I have to just to keep on pushing through. The joy of tidying shall come later.


So here we have three versions of each - aiming for a calligraphic edition of 2. I will add the red highlights, then select and choose in a wee while, title and sign, photograph and then its off to get framed and wrapped and packed! Only a dozen mores steps and we're done! Time to get on with the books I think.


6 comments:

  1. Oh so gorgeous... you are SO talented!
    Happy Lammas/Imbolc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire - so kind! It is slow and tedious at times, but I am happy with where I got to. Go well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to seeing this work in real life at the Sydney Contemporary Art Fair next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so through and so neat! I love process posts and can only envy your meticulous approach from afar. These pieces look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even for me Lesley these have been process-oriented! Loads of process, but int he end, hopefully all worth it. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.