Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A print exchange...

Lesley sent out the call for a Spring print exchange recently, and I thought to myself, I'd like to try that.  I was fine with the fact that it was an Autumn upside down seasonal print exchange thing for me, and felt that this would be a great chance to get inking again.

There were seven of us and I was the only one south of the equator, and that meant I had to get a wee bit more organised in order to meet the timelines, given it takes a while for mail to make it up and over the world.

I was lucky I found some time here and there to get making and cutting and inking and colouring.

My lino cut is an edition of 15, printed and hand-coloured, called "Imagine peace".

The original prints...


One of the prints.


The edition after hand colouring.


One of the final hand-coloured prints.


Bundled all together...



Peace is beautiful, yet hard to achieve. With this print I wanted to capture that idea, making the words somewhat difficult to decipher, yet having the overall sense of something beautiful nonetheless.

I am pleased that I managed to get these into the post before we headed off to Japan, giving them time to reach their new owners. I am also quite excited by the thought of six other prints arriving in the mailbox...will keep you posted! I have received three splendid ones to date, and will share the full set with you once I have them in my happy hands.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona, I picked up both yours and Lesley's prints from the post office yesterday. I love the strength of the watercolour with the black. It looks even better in the flesh than the digital version. Thank you.
    (Mine are now dry, flat and hopefully going in the post tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac I thought of you in the middle of the night and realised you might not have received yours yet - eek! But I'm thrilled that the timing worked and that you are enjoying. Looking forward to seeing yours as well.

      Delete
  2. Lovely - inspires me to get my lino prints out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful... and such a great idea. I love trading art. Intriguing concept for your print as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delightful exchange Valerianna - such variation in style and techniques and all gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. love this Fiona. Found it much easier to read the 'imagine peace' in black and white, but the colour form has such impact. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that bit about them Susan - how the colour makes it beautiful, then you have to decipher it - the right brain enjoys then the left brain focuses...

      Delete
  5. Thanks Annie - I like it when it isn't too obvious if it hangs on a wall...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.