Sunday, June 15, 2014

A lovely weekend

Here we are, Sunday night, tired and happy.

We opened the studio over the weekend, and had lots of wonderful chats with folk - some who were just driving by and decided to drop in on a whim; others who serendipitously found themselves nearby and came to visit and meet in person; and new locals and old locals and new and old friends also came along. And my fabulous mum and dad who brought food to keep us going!

There was time for chats and cuppas here and there. The studio looked good after we had cleaned up outside; and inside it sparkled as well. The log fire kept the place warm and toasty and inviting, and the weather was overall pretty kind.

These photos are all "pre" shots, so still looking tidy and fairly well stocked... I should have done an "after" shot as well! Not quite so tidy...

As you walk in the door.


My shelving at the end - filled with knicks and knacks and pages waiting to tell me what they need to be...


A pause on the stairs for two of Barry's pieces, and a quiet-peace-filled nook.



Then upstairs to Barry's steampunk-inspired corner. He could have sold that lamp a few times over!


 And to glass cabinets with my books and bibs and bobs..


 Including my rusty nest...


A table of Barry's shiny things…


And a few prints and wall pieces as well.


We stop and reflect on what an Open Studio is really about for us.  We used to be part of an Open Studio Trail - and could have hundreds of visitors through over  a weekend; sometimes busloads would appear.  They were busy, chaotic and exciting times; but not everybody who came was interested in our work and there was very little time to talk with people about what we did or why we did it; and visitors often didn't get a chance to ask questions or explore something more deeply or more slowly.

So going out on our own has meant fewer people coming through - but more time with them. It has surprisingly also meant more sales which is interesting in itself. Altho don't ever ask me to pick what might sell - I can never pick it!

It was also a great opportunity for me to be able to show people "Fragile Gains" 2/3 before it heads to the US on Tuesday.  It was wonderful to see how people responded to the work and to knowing that it was off across the oceans.  There won't be any copies left in Australia when I finish 3/3 and post it off, so I am glad that a few more people got to see it here. Because a lot of my works heads off, it isn't seen locally so it is nice to share it with folk in person, here, right here, where it is made.

It also works for us, because it shows locals that we really do run a gallery/shop of sorts and that if they want a gift for an event or occasion or a card, then they can call us and pop over and purchase it. Gradually folk are beginning to feel as if we offer that - a shop - and we love it when people ring and say I need a gift for a wedding in Italy…or it's my husband's birthday tomorrow do you have anything? It is a lovely local exchange - handmade and personal gifts.

There are moments of absolute joy where somebody falls in love with something; you can take the time to show how you do it; they get to try and take a wee bit home; with their heads full of ideas and inspiration. That's priceless I think.

There's also something else - it reminds us that we are skilled and semi-professional artists; and encourages or forces us to think about ourselves that way for a bit. There is always a bit of pressure in putting yourself out there, and yet we both find it good to be able to tell our stories and show our work and in the doing, we get reminded of what we are…strange I know, but I often have those moments where I think "we're not in Canberra any more" just like Dorothy isn't in Kansas anymore.

So it works for us on a professional development level as well.

It means so many things, and offers so many things. Plenty of pondering still to happen I expect as we go over moments and experiences; and share thoughts with each other and vignettes from the two days.

And we have plans to do it all again in November...

12 comments:

  1. November! Maybe, just maybe I may be heading your way then... I hope so. The studio looks great in the photos and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - we shall have to try and co-ordinate timings and visits! It can feel a bit like an Aladdin's cave in there, and there is always something to catch your eye...

      Delete
  2. A marvellous concept F & B and finally a happening. Congratulations on being brave and going it alone. It makes all the difference to how we feel in the final goodbyes to our work. Well done both!

    Thoroughly enjoyed walking through the "old home" knowing every nook & cranny. x g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G - a little bit of a reminisce! Yes, I think this one has been the best one yet, with the upstairs gallery space and shop fully resolved now. It was warm and light and happy. I like being bale to talk through the pieces and share a bit of us with the new owners too. Go well.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed browsing through your open studio, thanks Fiona.... and kept returning to look at the rusty nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn - I do so love that rusty nest! I even made porcelain eggs to go in it. It is ever so fragile, but always makes me smile.

      Delete
  4. Well done...it looks beautiful. Glad it was a raging success, and I'm sorry that circumstances made me miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo and no worries - you know we are pretty much always open if we are here! Go well.

      Delete
  5. your space looks fantastic - and its great to hear that your making the open studio work FOR you (not the other way around).... *one day* I might just appear on the studio doorstep for a looksee in flesh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta Ronnie - yes this one felt like we got the balance right - we have loads more ideas of what we can do and how; but just have to be sensible! The door will always be open if you made it this far north!

      Delete
  6. what a lovely space you have created for your work, love that rusty nest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo - it is a nice welcoming and warm space I think - and full of little bits to catch your eye. Must admit I love the rusty nest too...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.