Thursday, May 9, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

“There are two things I wanted to do. I wanted to show the things that had to be corrected. I wanted to show the things that had to be appreciated”. 

Lewis Hine

I liked this quote because it felt to me like somebody (Mr Hine) had sat down and had a think bout what he was trying to achieve with his art, and then summarised it succinctly.

In fact he was clearly very thoughtful about the direction and impact of his work as a photographer and used his skills and his profile to document and promote child labourers in the early 20th Century in America.

I think I also responded because in a small way,  I felt my work is a little about these two things as well.  I want to draw attention to things that need to change and I want to celebrate the beauty and wonderfulness of some things.

In particular I like the balance in his thinking - he sought to point out things that were in need of correction; but didn't simply whinge or moan or depress everybody with  the awfulness of it all. His counterpoint was to balance these issues with things that should be appreciated, that raised our spirits and showed us good things.

I like this notion of balance and will no doubt ponder how to develop a proper sense of it in my own work.


Celebrating the lives of little birds and their amazing nests...

2 comments:

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.