Thursday, May 30, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

“Sculptures are paintings that stand on their own”. 

Frank Stella

I love how my Thursdays give me the chance to see something that is familiar, through new and different eyes.  As I have gotten older, I have come to really enjoy and appreciate sculpture.  I like its presence and  its physicality; the chance to move around it; to see different perspectives, angles and shadows.  To see how well something fits into the landscape.

And yet I had never stopped to think go it as being linked to art like this.

A painting that stands on its own!

Perhaps this has its origins in the sense that painting is the ultimate visual art; that it is the beginning and the end of fine art, and so in order to give sculpture some kudos or credit, it gets related to painting.

I think sculpture stands on its own any which way, and I wonder if this is somehow describing the action of taking a drawing in 2D and creating something 3D with it? Or whether it is really saying that sculpture is as good as painting, just independent of walls?


I definitely think sculpture is as good as a painting!

2 comments:

  1. oh the hierarchy of art is a strange construct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Mo, indeed! Because I have never studied art or been part of the art world, I have only just come to realise this might be a thing! Crazy notion really isn't it? Even the use of Fine Art Gallery - not really sure what is different to an Art Gallery? I could spend ages wondering or worrying, but I don't think so. Go well!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.