Thursday, May 7, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us”. 

 Iris Murdoch

I only came across this one recently - it brought me such joy!

It was the loveliest gentle reminder to not take things for granted.  I tried to put myself in the shoes of folk from a planet without flowers and had to agreed in full with Ms Murdoch - how astonished they would be and how excited they would think we must be to be surrounded by such magnificence on regular basis!

No matter which part of the world we live in, there are flowers that emerge from the depths of Winter; that herald the coming of Spring; that burst forth and cheer on Summer and that wind us down into Autumn.

In many ways it resonated as well as I have found fresh flowers to be a small antidote to the drear and the fear.  It has been nice to find them, be gifted them and to simply enjoy placing them around and about the house.

Here's to celebrating flowers in all their gorgeousness.



Couldn't help myself, two photos not one - today's gatherings from the garden.

4 comments:

  1. seeing your incredible flower pictures, I feel like that person from another planet ... then again, I feel much the same way each time I encounter new-to-me flowers, so thank you for highlighting what a joy that is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Oz! Our flowers are a bit weird and wonderful but we love them. Smile. I am the same when we travel - finding joy in what may be considered common flowers - but they are new to me! Enjoy your flowers in Spring and go well...

      Delete
  2. For those of us who live on the other side of the world, could you tell us what these spectacular blossoms are?? Love the spidery pink ones especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - thanks so much. Our Australian wildflowers are so unique! The wee red one is a grevillea and I think it might be longistyla. If you google grevillea red spidery you will see heaps of varieties! The bold golden ones are banksias - and I think this one is Spinulosa Colina. They bring me joy. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.