Thursday, May 14, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"One of the wonderful things about books is less that they influence one but rather that they seem to coax into the light ideas that one is already groping for. It's almost a magical process by which one finds oneself led to just the right book, making manifest inchoate feelings or ideas, at just the right moment." 

Jamie Seaton

I had to go a'googling to work out who Jamie Seaton was - and perhaps the quote is by a fund manager in the UK; a UK cyclist; an Australian  environmentalist; a US cage fighter or a US writer. And that was just some of pages 1-2.

It doesn't necessarily matter who wrote what I ponder; but occasionally context does matter so I try to check. In my head at least, it was the writer who said this.

UPDATE: thanks to an arty colleague, I can now confirm which Jamie Seaton I am referencing here!
Hi Fiona

I always read your posts although am unable to comment.  Thought I’d let you know who this particular Jamie Seaton is. He’s the UK co-founder of fashion and homeware label ‘Toast’.  Loved the quote and  your view ....including the view from Scotland.

Enjoy your new workplace...looks very functional.

Cheers
Jo
Whoever said it clearly enjoys books and enjoys how they come into your life and what they do for you. At first I read swiftly and the word less jumped out at me and I linked it in my head to importance.  I re-read it and realised it was associated with the word wonderful. Which helped; because it let many things about books be wonderful.

I was talking to somebody in the studio about how often we feel led by the work; or that we deviate unexpectedly to explore a different or new path, and I guess this quote suggests as well that almost mystical notion of a universal force or a creative force leading us.  Perhaps it is our subconscious at play; but I do know it happens for me with making; and therefore it probably could happen with books as well.

Sometimes we really do find ourselves led to a book at just the right time...


The road leads to a cove...in our village in Scotland, where all are safe and well so far.

4 comments:

  1. okay, I confess I looked up inchoate ... a word that I have often read, but never heard spoken out loud as the pronunciation is not what I have always imagined it to be ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often feel vulnerable when reading aloud words I haven't heard or suddenly think I am not sure of their pronunciation and it is often funny to realise the way I have always said it to myself in my head is apparently not the common way! I support anybody's personal pronunciations they have clearly been reading!

      Delete
  2. ah this reminds me of a favourite line, “In Magic Realism as both literature and visual art the necessity of fantasy is intertwined with the inescapable condition of the real.” from an interview by Diane Thodos with Audrey Niffenegger for artcritcal.com back in May 2004

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a wee while ago now Mo, good memory! I like that fantasy is necessary and intertwined - I feel like making art is like that; and so too is reading!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.