Sunday, May 17, 2020

Stocktake time

Well, after I don't know how many years of making things, selling some things and filing away other things we realised it is well and truly time to do a stocktake.

This comes about in part because we are preparing to open the studio space to the public next month, and plan to have an Open Studio event on 13 June.  By that date we will be allowed to have 20 people gather outside and be able to have 20 people in our studio space given its size.

Unless of course, things go backwards before going forwards; but we must make plans of some sort.

So we realise that we had 'stock' at the house; in the garage; in the sewing room; in the new studio and even in a shop in town that we needed to gather together and get a handle on.

If you want to sell it, you need to know what, where and how much.

Not my favourite task; but a rather large sense of satisfaction that at the end of the weekend I know every piece that I have and where it is.  What it might cost is yet to be finalised... I dislike that part the most.

Stocktaking cards it became clear that we don't have any Happy Birthday cards. So I played around with colourful ink rolls and some numbers just to see.



But mostly I just sat at the desk counting and cataloguing and noting editions, framed, unframed, matted variations and details like that.


Having gone through them all it became clear a few pieces could do with a bit of renovation, so I pulled them apart and refreshed them.

One of the Gentle Journeys pieces was a bit foxed in parts so I removed the paper and made up new pieces and replaced them.


High tech way of getting the alignment right. As ever, I kicked myself for not photographing the work before I put the glass and frame back on and taped it down. Must do better.


This piece is deep and dark.  I forgot to take a before shot; but that central square was a bit boring, soI I removed it.  I wanted some reason for you to go in and have look that I don't think was there before.


So I played around with rusty washers, gold leaf and colours and decided that a scratched bit of gold leaf over red  really popped.  Again I forgot to take a shot of the piece before re-framing - this is  a progress/options shot but better than nothing.


The options that were tested and rejected.


But then a small card made out of one of the rejects with the word SHINE scratched into it. A bit of fun and a reminder than remnants too can have a home.


I was really pleased to have typed up a record of all of the work that I have, and also pleased that going through and re-visiting some of them allowed me to refresh and renew them and and bring them new life.  It was also fun to play a bit along the way, so all in all happy days. Now to pricing...

6 comments:

  1. How exciting, I price my work at how much I am happy to let it go for so if someone is willing to come up with the bikkies it's a win/win situation for both of us & always feels good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo that really helped. I sat down with it yesterday and thought about pricing like that (not what SHOULD this be worth?) and came away feeling like it was pitched in that zone of comfort/happy. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. the gold leaf addition to the deep dark piece is transformational ... and I do like that bit of "shine"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had pretty much forgotten bout all the gold leaf I have until we moved and I was packing/unpacking. And now, perhaps it is the time as well, I am finding it adds much joy to my work so I shall keep on exploring...go well.

      Delete
  3. I always drag my feet at this sort of organization, but must admit to a great sense of satisfaction when everything is tidy and in its place. Congratulations! I love the scratchy Shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Dana! It is definitely not he 'to be put off' list most of the time; yet when I do it like you, I feel highly satisfied! Have since discovered a few items not thought of so shall get to them today and hopefully it shall be complete. Thanks for loving the scratchy Shine as well - might play with more along those lines...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.