Monday, April 11, 2022

Stones and gifts


 Where we are, on the far north coast of Scotland, the wild and heavy seas pummel the coastline. The northwest coast of Scotland also has some of the oldest and hardest stones on earth. This combination produces some amazingly round stones, and where we are, some lovely patterning.

I have oftentimes shown my ‘the world is a circle ‘ stone collection in a variety of ways. This time we have collected more, and for me one of the special things has been discovering overlapping circles within the stones and bringing them home.

These overlapping loops are forming the basis of some new work and my eyes really enjoying spotting them from a distance and wandering around their intersections.

Although the big one doesn’t really have overlaps, it was too gorgeous not to join the gang!


There is something somewhat contradictory or incongruent about what look like swooping, fluent swirls actually being made of the hardest of rocks.



The thing I like about this one is that one of the intersections ‘jumps’ down like a stutter in an old record when the needle skipped.


And then to gifts - I have the best friends. 

I was messaging a friend Lesley about her print scraps as she wondered what to do with them. Before I knew it, some of the scraps had arrived in the mail and I am now the proud owner of some delightful and delectable scraps - may I say I use the word very lightly.

Here are some details of just a few of the remnants for me to play with…






I can hear the sighs echoing everywhere…



2 comments:

  1. circled stones and asemic scraps ... really, one couldn't wish for more

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.