Thursday, April 28, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“My grandparents were illiterate and I never expected to stand here before you in a grand hall in London as a writer being so honoured. Perhaps in consequence I do not share the pessimism of the age about the novel, [which is] one of our greatest spiritual aesthetic and intellectual traditions.” 

Richard Flanagan

Richard Flanagan is an Australian author and won the Booker Prize in 2014 with his novel The Narrow Road to The Deep North, a story about prisoners of war in Thailand during the Second World War; based on his own father's story.

I oftentimes think of him as Australia's conscience. He writes articles for newspapers; he writes essays for monthly publications; he writes books about our dark underside.  He so often writes with a deep understanding of our country; but with an objectivity that allows us to be turned around, to look at ourselves, our true nature and our true stories. 

This quote is part of his acceptance speech for the Booker. I love how it shows how education changes things. How learning to read and write and engage with the world opens up so many opportunities.  I love how he also honours the novel - the storytelling; the narrative; the imaginings of the novel.  



I think novels can be transformative - if you read the right one at the right time, they can change you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.