Monday, May 2, 2022

Pottering and waiting

 It was a bit of a misery afternoon yesterday - beyond dreich - but I was able to stay warm inside and have a bit of a potter and a play.

I had brought a few watercolours with me and decided to do a sample chart, and then to test out mixing them to see if I could record any of the colours around me. That was the plan but it kind of went this way and that.

I started by making patterns for some book covers. 

I felt in my absolute comfort zone as I made small grey watercolour squares on paper. I wondered to myself “could there be anything more soothing?” as I went along.


The finished bunch of covers. I have been tweeking a few of them since.


I had brought this tiny set of study cards with me, thinking they might encourage me to jot down something each day. Ha! That they did not. I thought I might test some colour combos on them and as I went along, I started to simply make marks, thinking I might be able to do something on them. Better than white paper terror, I hoped.





My water ‘glass’ was a vase, and looked gorgeous. At one point it looked like a very fancy cocktail!



I then thought to instinctively respond to some of the marks, adding few lines or whatever came to mind. It was good to not think, just do.




A very productive and re-invigorating few hours were had. I do not know why I need to learn this over and over, but I do. 

Making fills me up. Spending time with artistic play soothes me, calms me and energises me. I know this, and I should pay far more regard to it than I do at times when I get busy and distracted.

Today as we waited whilst my Dad was at church, we simply sat and watched a field of lambs and their mums. It too was calming and just so lovely to be able to observe them, without making them skittery. We were in the car and they didn’t really know we were there. Lots of fun, and this wee one was gorgeous.


And not a bad view to bide the time in…

Throughout the time however our quiet was interrupted by thrumming and tapping and rat a tat tatting.

In the rear view mirror I spotted who was doing what. This pied wagtail was completely besotted with itself we think, or else really wanted to have a go at shiny black cars!


And this!

Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.