Sunday, May 8, 2022

Small batches...

I have come to the notion that time at the cottage is a time of small making.

And perhaps as they say, from little things big things grow. I hope some things do grow from the small making I managed whilst away.

Having enjoyed our cove wanders and the marvellous rusty bits and pieces that we gleaned along the way, I suddenly remembered that I could use some of the pieces to rust-stain paper. I rushed into doing it with some very strong tea, and realised half way through I had probably forgotten how I used to do it, but went ahead anyway.

I tried a few different papers.




And quite a few different rusty bits.




And by the time I got to these postcards, I remembered I sometimes wet down the paper before dripping tea all over it, so gave that a try as well. Better late than never.


I knew I wouldn't be packing all that gorgeous rustiness to bring back, and I think that a few pieces of paper, made with their marks, is a nice way to bring there to here . A bit like taking the rubbings of the cottage's stone walls.

Along a very similar vein,  there was no way I could pack some of my very large stones with their double joined up markings, so I chose to do some abstractions of the lines in my notebook, to think about using in some other ways at some other time.





Small moments of making.

We arrived back in Maleny very early this morning and got to bed about 1.30am.  The day has been spent quietly pottering this way and that, unpacking, sorting, washing, writing lists of things to remember to do, and generally taking it gently.

4 comments:

  1. welcome home ...

    I have no doubt that the end result of the rust markings on paper will be wondrous ... and, as I have long been I gatherer of rusty bits, thank you for the how-did-I-not-think-of-this realization that they would mark wonderful marks on paper (as I long ago gave up rust-staining on cloth as it is so hard to stitch)

    and oh, how hard it must have been to leave those beautiful rocks behind ... I do regret that my geology studies in college didn't stick in my mind, the better to comprehend how they might be as they are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - it is good to go away and it is good to return. The rust marks on paper work well - you can either wet the paper with water, tea stain the paper or just go direct with the teabag. The tea helps the rust to transfer. LOTS of interesting marks emerge. The rocks will be there to welcome us back I hope...go well

      Delete
  2. welcome back. I hope you brought lots of inspiration back home !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick! I ave lots of thoughts rolling around in my head, and I hope to settle on some of them soon.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.