Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Words and wasps

 I was happy to be asked by a neighbour here if I could do some calligraphy for her in the front of a photo album that was being gifted to a special relative.

As ever, I wanted to check what sort of calligraphy might be preferred, especially as I don’t have any of my calligraphy tools with me! That meant that I would have to prepare the writing in pencil, and ‘colour it in’ so to speak.

The quick pencil sketches I did to show different styles - no lines, no rubbing out, really just indicative notions.


Testing out spacing and page alignment


Playing around with the letter ‘a’ and wondering whether or not to close off the bowl of the ‘e’ or draw a line and leave it open a small bit.


Centred and positioned on the page, I transferred my writing using lead pencil - very high tech! Because I had no broad edge nibs with me, I couldn’t write directly on the page with ink, hence the draw, transfer and colour in process.


And then to choose the colouring in pen.


And then to hand it over!

You can imagine I have now added broad edge nibs and pens to my packing list for next time.

The beauty of the natural world was well and truly on display with these fragile, beautifully formed paper wasp homes. They were hanging in our outside shed when we arrived, happily empty, but towards the end of our stay I cut them down to try and examine them better, and conserve/preserve them.
Magnificent.


Looking through to see the build up of layers


Looking deep inside to see the amazing structures.



The glory of it all…


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.