Thursday, June 9, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"More of your brain is involved when reading than it is when you watch television... because you are supplying just about everything... you're a creator". 

 Margaret Atwood

I have not read all of Ms Atwood's books by any means, but her intelligence and insight when she speaks about reading, books, democracy and the importance of them all is unparalleled in my view.  

I have oftentimes thought about the conundrum of reading versus watching and what is happening in them both. In particular, I read book a few years ago that was devastating in its abuse, self-harm, despair and self destruction.  The writing was such that I was utterly absorbed by it and felt bereft when I finished it - the people had mattered to me a lot.

One of the reasons I think the abuse felt worse was for the reasons Ms Atwood suggests - rather than observing the images of something, I had to create the scenes in my mind. I was actively participating in bringing the scenes to life - a participant creator of sorts - and somehow that made me feel complicit.

Some sort of comparison can be made between watching being observational and only skimming across the surface; and reading being participatory and coming from deep within. 

I think this is such a good way to describe what reading can do - you create a visual image; you make up the sound of the voices; you imagine the setting and the clothes if they are not described in detail; you determine what a person looks like...

I had never really thought about the act of reading as being creative, but she is so right.


Leakey's Bookshop in Invenress - so much creativity awaits!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the quote. Reading is complete. When I watch or listen, I must always divert myself with puzzles, painting, cards, doing housework (when the watching is in the same room) because I can't sit quietly just watching or listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting isn't it? Reading absorbs me 100% - whereas viewing and listening are often accompanied by smoother activity...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.