Sunday, January 22, 2023

Green Square Library

 Wherever I go, I love stopping by a Library. I still say nearly every single time (and poor Barry can attest to this) "I LOVE Libraries! They are just the BEST!" with all the enthusiasm and excitement those bold letters and exclamation marks conjure up.

And so it was once again when our friend Karen introduced us to her local library here in Sydney - at Green Square.  It is a relatively newly built building and part of a very green re-development that is still evolving.

I was a touch underwhelmed the first time I saw it - as we passed by on a bus. I thought that it seemed quite small really, and wouldn't have much variety or things on offer. Silly me. The building is mostly underground; and the small pyramid-like shape I could see was just the tip of it, so to speak.

On looking, you can see the circular light wells in the paved area that help illuminate below. The area is also a shared pedestrian, bike, car zone.

The circle you can see in the paved are above is an open air garden in the middle of the Library where you can sit and eat, drink a coffee, stare at the sky in between other things.


The tower has six floors of all sorts of things - meeting room, music room, anything room...

I can't recall the name of this room - but it should be the rainbow room! I think it was the reading room.


Karen and I among the rainbows...


The tower also has this sculpture - a real plane with all sorts of lands and dioramas upon it...books can take you anywhere.


At this end of the underground library you look out to an amphitheatre. You can see where the screen drops down from inside and everybody can be seated outside watching a film or an event or... inside they can arrange the furniture for more intimate showings.


But then the books. The children's area has all sorts of great nooks (in which I have seen many children curled up reading), low shelves and tables and chairs.




This may not be news to some, but I ended up in the Parents Room to use the toilet and found a tiny toilet to the right; and a regular toilet to the left - how cool to be able to take your little one in with you, and keep an eye on them.


And of course there were amazing things to borrow, and simple and sleek systems and loads of books and computers and tables and chair and rooms. Up in the pyramid there is also a coffee shop and heaps of magazines.


But also recycling centres for batteries, phones, lightbulbs and so on.


And of course, you can loan a phone charger. Brilliant!


I could go on and on and on but I won't. It is a remarkable piece of urban design, welcoming the community into and around it; making great use of space and caring for the environment in big way.
I think if I lived here I might never go anywhere else...


Except to the fabulous art galleries of course...

1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing design ... I love that the focus is still on books, with lots of light to enjoy them by ... but it's the innovations that I most enjoyed: the circular inner garden space, the design of the amphitheater, the recycling bins, the iconic house-shaped reading table for little ones ... and oh my, the tiny toilet is dear

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.