Thursday, January 26, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

"Think before you speak. Read before you think". 

Fran Lebowitz

I oftentimes think of the first part of this quote - but I really liked the addition! I guess in terms of thinking Ms Lebowitz is suggesting we should have done some reading first - we should have sought advice and information from people before we think.  That good information and analysis and critique will shape our thinking such that when we speak we make sense and what we say is based on solid ground.

I imagine she is trying to work through the idea of not just verbalising opinions; where our thinking has been swift and probably shallow, gleaned from observations, desires or preferences.

I know the older I get the more I find listening to the opposite view is important.  I try to not just assert my belief or opinion without having considered the alternative.  Still working on that!

I wonder what year she said/wrote this?  I wonder if it was pre Fake News; pre an avalanche of conspiracy theories available to all and sundry; pre the multiplicity of rabbit holes we can all go down to gather information that supports our views?

In a way, it has an almost olde-world feel to it when books and the written word were almost universally agreed to be a strong record of fact and research. Now the cry of "I do my own research" has somewhat tainted that notion.

Still if your source material is good; this quote holds true and helps us all do better.



Detail of  Books by Li Chao, 2011. White Rabbit Gallery 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.