Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Sculpture in the city

 We are still in the city. Coogee baths as the sun sparkles on the water.


One of my hopes for our stay was to be able to visit a sculpture at St Jude's Anglican Church Cemetery in Randwick.

Several years ago (code for before Covid) my friend Tory Richards won a competition to make a sculpture which celebrated the immense contribution of the women of the St Jude's community over 150 years.  You can imagine that most plaques and statues celebrate the men.

Tory's sculpture represents and celebrates everywoman I think, and involves three women in conversation, in sharing, in giving, in receiving, and in harmony with nature.

I was honoured to be one of the models for the work. The work does not attempt to make us realistic - rather we are the basis for the women portrayed. Two of Tory's other friends also modelled for her; and one night after dinner at Tory's Barry stepped in and stood with his feet in the right direction for Tory to use as part of the base for the sculpture!

We walked along and caught a glimpse of the beautiful patina through the fence. We knew we had found 'the girls'.

No prizes for guessing I was the model for the tallest woman, back in the day when my hair was a short bob.





I loved the way the petals and fruit had dropped, and the shadows played with these feet and shoes.


Here, my friend Steph, is gifting me a rose...



And on the shoulder of Tory's other friend, rests this beautiful wee bird.


The folds in my dress... so fluid in the hard metal.


This is one of the most amazing features for me. When I looked down at the feet of the woman I modelled, I realised Tory had actually cast my feet! My right foot little toe is shaped JUST like that and tucks under just so... what attention to detail.


And these stunning eucalypts, just beginning to flower on our walk home.




Such a joy to be able to view the sculpture, so wonderful to see the contribution of generations of women celebrated, and so honoured to have played a small part in it

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought it was life-size ... but no,there you are and there they are and well, that was the end of that illusion ... the poses are so apt and I love that your feet are bare, while the others are shod ... and how is it that I'm just now realizing the "shod" must be short for "shoed" ...

    thank you for including so many angles and close-ups ... it's such a delightful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ever so thankful it wasn't life sized! I could cope with any reference to me being in smaller doses...
      and now you have me wondering where the word shoddy (as in workmanship) hails from?!? There are so many lovely elements in that sculpture - the ye roams over it and over it...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.