Thursday, April 11, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

"Reading is one of the most individual things that happens. So every reader is going to read a piece in a slightly different way, sometimes a radically different way". 

Margaret Atwood

I have pondered thoughts like this before; but I love being reminded of just how individual we are as we read a book.

I think that for an author that must be incredibly tricky. Not only are we all bringing different things to the book; but as an individual I know I can read the same book in different ways depending on my age, circumstances and mood.

When reviewing or describing a book for friends, I am really conscious of how my personal experiences or circumstances might have influenced how I read the book and my level of annoyance or enjoyment of it.   Sometimes a book is just the third or fourth in a row we have read that has an annoying male character so we get cranky with it for that - whereas if it was the first book in ages with an annoying male character we may tolerate it better and see it as interesting. 

Sometimes our reading of a book is fragmented because we are time-poor and we never feel like we can really get into it; whereas if we have time to invest and can dive in deep for extended periods, we may enjoy a book more. So many things!

Just a lovely reminder that no two people ever read this me book.


We are off to hear the author talk about this book on Friday - I am yet to read it so it will be interesting to see if hearing about it before I read it changes my thoughts about it!

2 comments:

  1. interesting to note that I am currently slogging my way through a book by Niall Williams, after reading two of his that I very much enjoyed (a memoir and a novel) ... I'm about 80 pages in and simply don't much care about the main character, so it's probably heading back to the library today

    likewise, we went to an opening for an artist whose work we have admired in the past ... the gallerist tried mightily to interest me in a piece he liked, but it didn't speak to me in any way, so I politely demurred

    in both cases, what the author and artist sought to convey was lost on me ... but I have no doubt they connected with others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conversation between author/artist and reader/viewer is an intriguing one, and I am more and more deciding to give up on a book if I just can't find my way in. So disappointing after his writing has otherwise been stunning! I recall being told about the notion of a "heart sell" re real estate and think it is the same about art. You have to feel it, not just acknowledge it...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.