Thursday, July 30, 2026

Thursday Thoughts...

“We should not see print and electronic literature as in competition, but rather in conversation. The more voices that join in, the richer the dialogue is likely to be”. 

N. Katherine Hayles

I really like the idea that all forms of literature are in conversation rather than in competition. This suggests to me flow and movement between the different forms, that at one point the hard copy book is the main voice whilst at others the electronic or audio version enters the conversation.

It feels particularly pertinent to me a little way out from a long haul flight.  Every single time we travel the lead up is filled with me thinking - which book will I read? How many books will I need? Will I take a hard copy in case I run out of battery? Will I buy an electronic book or just borrow one? Should I download a few mindless magazines from the library too?

Laugh.

So much time in my head preparing for my reading in all its forms on my flights! Which is OK - its about 24-25 hours of flying time and if the movies are no good...

I have moved to reading on my iPad on the plane because it doesn't require me to put on the overhead light and shine brightly, perhaps when others are trying to sleep. I can sit in my nook with my screen lit just enough for me. But I do need a back up because once you are in flight you can't download another book if the one you chose is rubbish.

It does feel like a conversation between the different forms; or a bit of choreography perhaps. My preference is always for a book I can hold in my hand; but I am grateful that the other forms have joined my chat!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.