Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thursday Thoughts...

“A photograph isn’t necessarily a lie, but nor is it the truth”. 

Martine Franck

I like the ambiguity of this one and I imagine photographers ponder upon these notions a lot.

Photographs capture a moment in among many moments, with rarely much reference to what went before and what happened straight after. For example a friend's child was recently snapped in a big family event photograph looking glum and as if he wished he was anywhere else on earth.

As I chatted with his mum I said I realised he may have transformed into a huge smile seconds later; or that this face, which to me suggested a sense of not enjoying large gatherings (projection Fiona???), may have been because he felt really poorly or had just stubbed his toe or...and yet this is the moment that was caught and that is the sense I took from it all. Lie or Truth?

Most photographs don't set out to set up a lie I think, yet we all know that they aren't, and can't be, the full story. I kind of love that about them.

These days of course the line between truth and fiction (or fake) is sometimes very hard to discern; and certainly some folk do set out to play with photos to deceive. Photoshop seems almost benign in its efforts to show no wrinkles or slim down a waist compared to some of the deliberately faked and forged images we are shown by AI on a daily basis.

With this quote I was certainly thinking more about the photos we snap; that we take; how we frame a shot to show what we want, not the mess to the side...those little moments along the spectrum of truth to lie. And how with my friend's son, I made up my own story about his expression... so much to ponder!


Moments after this shot, Alan Cumming roared onto the stage and enterained us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.