Sunday, April 21, 2013

Of paper and poetry

I promised some images of the paper I made, after I spent such a lovely time gazing around the block the other day.

I have since made quite a bit more, but here is how it has come together so far...

These sheets are about A5 size - a bit bigger than half an A4 page. I like how their whiteness reflects the quality of the paper I used to make the pulp from.


Lovely edges...



I made these wee squares and triangles using mould and deckles that I bought from Noela at an art swap/sale thingy a while back. Usually they sit in the garden as sculptural pieces of interest, but I put them to use and they worked! The squares are about 4cm x 4cm, the triangles are about 8 or 9cm along the base. I think.

They have been filling my head with ideas and inspirations - it is so wonderful to have them around.



And then the lovely ragged edges of pages that didn't work. I love what they offer in their imperfection.


And then to poetry...

Apparently it is National Poetry Month in the US.  Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord posted a few days ago about Book Spine Poems and I got a little bit absorbed and besotted.  The idea is that you visit your local library and make a free verse poem out of the titles on the spines of books in the library. Photograph it and send it to the American Library Association and you might win a prize. You can read those details here, but I didn't want to participate in such a big way.  I was jumping excited about this idea and despite having to get organised and drive to Goondiwindi, I just had to grab a few books from the shelves and make poem!

So here is my free verse book spine poem:


A Room with a View

Birdsong,

The fog garden,

Snow falling on cedars,

Yesterday's shadow

The Remains of the Day

All that I am.





22 comments:

  1. Loving the rough edges and the book spine poem. As I savoured the poem I was thinking ....this says so much about Fiona.... and then I came to the last line ...... "all that I am". Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn - thank you! I loved the book spine poem, it felt just right, and was inspired to keep on looking at the combinations one could make just with what was around.

      Delete
  2. ~paper making at its finest...these pieces are ever so beautiful...you know when my littles and i used to make paper it was always from random fragments that had a variety of color and i was never thrilled with the finished pieces...i love the white...the softness and textures...pure and simple...

    and for this here poem...what a wonderful idea and challenge...to wander through and create in a new way...something i may just have to do!!!

    Yesterday's shadow


    The Remains of the Day


    All that I am.

    am pondering these words as i leave here this morning...beautiful...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandi - I hope you do get the chance to look at a book spine poem - it was wonderful fun! I too like the whiteness of the paper, because I started with the scraps of good white/cream paper. It is both pure and simple...

      Delete
  3. Don't you just LOVE the Spine Poem thing! I fell in love with that idea, too. Though not in a jump to it way that you have! I totally forgot when I was at the library yesterday!! Your poem has a Haiku-like feel.

    I love good paper, and the beautiful textures of handmade paper. I love sharing the possibilities of paper with my students - openning them up to the sculptural qualities, both in relief and 3 D. Just these little piles of paper are so satisfying. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Valerianna I DO love that whole spine poem thing - clearly I got totally engaged by it very swiftly! I hope you remember next time you are at the library - it is such fun. In a way the poem emerges from what you have on hand; yet you can still choose titles that create the sense of it if you know what I mean. Paper is just so fabulous in all its guises - I love the feel of handmade paper even if it makes it tricky at times for me to work with it!

      Delete
  4. exquisite! I am reminded a little of bandages…no bad thing, perhaps it's the softness and whiteness, a sense of healing.
    Love the little white tortilla chips too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzie - they are pretty special little bits - tortilla chips! I can see the bandages too now, interesting isn't it, softness and healing....

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh yay indeed V! I have been having fun!

      Delete
    2. you must have fun to compensate for the draggy times. i tried the poem with my work book shelves...will try the public library, a better place, i think.

      Delete
    3. Good luck with the Library - hope you made a poem!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful selection - four of my all time favourite books - and a couple of new ones to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlton, that made me want to guess your four and the others - I am assuming three Aussie authors aren't known? - marion halligan, anne funder and jon clearly? I read Anne Funders' book last year and for the first time in my life wanted to email an author and say thank you for writing this book, it is special; I haven;t read the clearly yet, but marion halligan is wonderful and also because it is about canberra where I spent a lot of time.

      Delete
  7. Papermaking is so wabi sabi... the imperfections are magical. And your book spine poem is wonderful... so creative and clever of you to combine titles like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so much Donna with the imperfections in hand made paper being magical. They call you in so many new and different ways. I really enjoyed the spine poem thing- just glancing thru the book shelves and grabbing a few that made a sort of sense to me...I expect I will go around doing it in other people's bookshelves now! Eek.

      Delete
  8. Such an inspiring post, with the beautiful (and photogenic) handmade papers, followed by the 'spines' of a poem! They will linger with me as I go about my own work with paper & books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - they were both delightful to play with I must say. The paper is soft and gorgeous and the spine poem - excitement!

      Delete
  9. Oh I covet those paper triangles.... beautifully made and that spine poem idea. I have seen that before I think but your choices are a delight. I must look at my shelves and have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesely - I love the little pieces too! You can imagine them sitting around the studio whispering to me hinting at what they might become...and how cool is that spine poem idea - I just loved it. Hope you find one too.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.