Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...

“To all the secret writers, late-night painters, would-be singers, lapsed and scared artists of every stripe, dig out your paintbrush, or your flute, or your dancing shoes. Pull out your camera or your computer or your pottery wheel. Today, tonight, after the kids are in bed or when your homework is done, or instead of one more video game or magazine, create something, anything. Pick up a needle and thread, and stitch together something particular and honest and beautiful, because we need it. I need it.”

Shauna Niequist

Sometimes I just don't think I have it in me to be creative, to make something to take an idea anywhere that is any good at all. I'm not sure, maybe it's tiredness, brain too full of other thingsness, beat myself up day, sad sack me day or just as I sometimes say, no idea really.

I have found the best way for me to move thru those phases and stages is to go do something. Make something. Pick up a pencil or pen, doodle a letter, make some marks. Run a line of stitching over something. Cut something out and past it onto something else. Sometimes just thinking go make a few cards frees me up enough to enjoy the making without thinking I am making something precious or special.

I think Shauna's plea for all of us who face those moments wishing we could be creative is twofold - yes just go do it, do something; and then please do it because people who don't do it need those who do to be doing it!

As an artist it is a lovely reflection of how valued the work we do is, how much it can be appreciated, and how much joy it can bring to the world. How what we do clearly makes the world a better place for some folk and for that I am glad.


A little bit of doodling from last week's stuck moment.

16 comments:

  1. 'just do it' --- better as a motto for arteests than shoe sales propaganda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ronnie - I sometimes re-frame it to "just go do something, anything...!"

      Delete
    2. as long as it is making something...even a little cairn in your garden, whatever, but make it. come to think of it, a chocolate cake might work!

      Delete
    3. So True V! Sometimes its about doing something with your hands, or letting your mind go somewhere else. I do find baking is a good place to let my mind wander along...

      Delete
  2. This sums up everything I feel at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina - pleased to find we are in synch; and always good to know we're not alone...Go well.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this Fiona. Again, these thoughts align with my own of late. I found myself sitting on a stool in the studio just staring at mounds of paper, leather, beads, thread, this that and the other. And I just had to pick something up. I find if I can't do that, I'm not in the space - I take a walk and come back to it. And there I am. Your posts are always so timely and insightful. I'm sorry I don't always comment but I do always read. And love them all. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho Louise - same same! I always visit just don't always leave a comment. Interesting how we do all find ourselves in this place at times, and I know that staring look well. Or else my eyes roam all around hoping to fix on something that might help. Always good to know others find themselves in the same spot every now again - and we come thru! Go well.

      Delete
  4. Nice doodles. Yes... and its through these stuck times, where I experimented and explored that I found useful things that now are front and center in my work. Because no matter what, its ultimately about the process, I think. If we are always stuck on making something "good" and/or professional, then maybe we don't allow enough elbow room in our process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna - you're right about the process and the familiarity of the doing; somehow you get muscle and mind memory going once you start the process. And definitely, getting out of your own way is important - not trying to always make perfect things. Go well.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree, it is putting something in motion that brings the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy - it definitely works that way you start it flows...and sometimes you are full of ideas and can't get them all down fast enough! Those moments when you are stuck tho, that's when just doing something helps so much.

      Delete
  6. It's just a matter of picking up a brush, pencil, pen, needle...and taking the first step. From then on it's hard to stop. Your doodling is someone else's art, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just doing really helps doesn't it Jo? Anything can happen once you've begun! But nothing can happen if you don't...

      Delete
  7. Back at the start of the year I did a post about 'just doing it' Fiona and this is a salutory reminder that I have not quite got the message right in my head yet. I have been doing things but as ever, I am judging them by some sort of standard rather than just playing to free the creative juices. I need to take these thoughts to heart and find the doodling gene again. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Lesley - the doodling gene! It is a fine one to resurrect I think, and well worth the search for it. I am a bit distracted by too many other things at the moment, so a doodle or a fiddle or a play just seem to help. Best wishes for your search!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.