Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The dance is one year old today!

Susan is back from her travels and today is UNESCO's World Book Day so we had planned a get together to do bookish things again and to celebrate that on WBD a year ago, we first sat down to make a book together, and the collaborative dance began.

We had set ourselves a gentle, small book-making task this time around; one that could be managed whilst travelling, and one that didn't need too much to be done to it on return.  Susan cleverly thought of preparing 16 7cm x 7cm squares of heavy paper and together we agreed that one side would be black and white designs; whilst the other side would be about travels and journeys.

So off we went and I went in and out of the pages whilst she was away - pondering this, exploring that, wondering how it would hold together.

We got together this afternoon and had a lovely, slow time together, chatting and playing with the pieces.  I think we were both feeling that this was not what you would call an 'art' book; that we had decorated the pages rather than created 'artisticness' upon them. I think we were both a bit unsure about what we had done and how it would work. I know I felt slightly sheepish!

I am waiting a wee bit to show the lot until Susan is able to do her last 8 images - she has been sick and is slowly recovering, so it is best to take the time it takes rather than rush things right now.

Here are some images of how I worked on my pages and the stack I took along this afternoon.

No prizes for guessing this is my black and white design side! It felt like doodling and was a great way to just sit quietly and meditatively drawing lines, drawing curves, intersecting them...


I do love the graphic nature of them all piled in together like this.


And for reverse journeys and travels side, I went for the tea rusting over the whole sheet before cutting the pages/pieces down to 7cm x 7cm.


And then I spent some more time doodling, making marks, travel lines, map markings and so on...


Part 2 of this wee book will unfold shortly...

If you would like to see the previous books (there are four complete ones) and the process to date - just click on Collaboration in the labels list in the right hand side bar.

I have also put images of my first four books on my website - here in the gallery called Collaborative work. Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. F&S - a big congratulations to you both - amazing that you have been doing this collaboration for a year; and you are still going strong and so creatively. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B - yes it's quite a thing isn't it to have been collaborating for a year now? And we are still full of ideas! Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  2. Has it really been a year since you started collaborating together? What a rich seam you've both mined since then. This is another jewel in the making Fiona. I cannot imagine how you kept such pristine graphics on one side whilst rusting the other but I love the effects. Looking forward to more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley! Yes a year has passed...it has been a delightful discovery and a great thing to do together. I actually rusted the sheet first then cut it up - I just liked the look of the b&w pieces first up!

      Delete
  3. Having seen Susan's stuff on her page I'm looking forward to seeing how the two books evolve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - I think we even surprised ourselves with where they went to next.

      Delete
  4. The black and white intersecting tiles are fascinating - and give me food for thought for a current little sketchbook project of mine .... I also love the gentle tea rusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlton - glad the bold graphic lines suggested something to you - I quite enjoyed them myself. It is interesting to see how well they fit together as a whole...Good luck with your sketchbook project.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful.. especially love the travel side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Valerianna - it will be good to see them together and work out their best side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to celebrate World Book Day! I love the premise of this fifth collaboration, and the drama of the two very different sides you've created... I think much of their beauty lies simply in the way you dipped in & out of them over the last couple of months, leaving behind layers/traces of your time spent with them.
    It will be exciting to see how it all comes together once Susan is feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - yes it is apt to sit and make a book or talk of bookish things on this day I think! It is really interesting to see how this one has evolved - quite different to the others thus far. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.