Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” 

Mother Teresa

I thought about these words today as I read the Letters to the Editor in our local newspaper.  Two letters thanked a person for all that they did for a recent community celebration; another thanked the coaches and trainers at the swimming club. One letter thanked the number of drivers who stopped to check that they were OK after a punctured tyre forced them to the side of the road.

I really like reading these letters - knowing that somebody is being thanked and recognised and knowing that it is pretty special for them to have it done publicly.  And knowing that people value what they do or did, enough to make it known.

I often think folk can forget very easily to say thank you or acknowledge somebody's contribution; and it is horrid how slighted that can make somebody feel. It often astounds me how some very high level people forget that small recognitions go a long way towards loyalty and how they can act as an incentive for more work or more effort.

But other kinds words also echo - those ones where somebody notices you're not quite right, or takes the time to check with you how your dad is.  Somehow these kind words enter into your heart and resonate onwards.


Some of the thank you cards I have made recently.

16 comments:

  1. So true, Fiona. As my mother always told me, "It doesn't take much effort to say thank you" and I know for myself how warm and fuzzy it makes me feel if I'm thanked for something! Which is why my poor children are burdened with the task of hand-writing thank you cards (which they have preferably made themselves!) in response to presents received on birthdays and at Christmas - a practice is which is now about as rare as hens' teeth by all accounts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true all of that Sara - I smiled and nodded as I went along. I think we really can underestimate the value of kind words and thank yous...it certainly sets off a really nice buzz when it happens, and I do think a thank you in any shape or form is welcome - tho I am a true fan of the handwritten one.

      Delete
  2. oh those letters (yours and the ones to the editors) are lovely.... a little 'thanks' goes a long way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie - lovely letters of all sorts are just lovely!

      Delete
  3. So true. Thank you for such a lovely and gentle reminder to us all just how powerful those 2 little words can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J - it's nice to read letters like those and think about it - helps remind me how special those words can make you feel. Go well.

      Delete
  4. I soooo agree, Fiona. And beautiful cards, reminding me that I have a few to send, myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Valerianna! One of the nice things between artists I think is often the cards are so beautiful themselves! I always appreciate a card made by hand or showing art...

      Delete
  5. It's a delight to read such letters when so many are full of vitriol and complaints. If only most people would see what they have to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think remembering the small things and the little kindnesses and efforts of folk is a wonderful thing Jo, and you are right, we so often overlook them or forget them, or think about them for two seconds and never act upon the thoughts. Still it is wonderful to come across kind words when you do.

      Delete
  6. I think thank yous really do make a difference and it's amazing how some people just can never seem to say those words!! Maybe they think it's old-fashioned or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie - I never understand it either really - maybe people think it's a sign of weakness or...??? Who knows, but they are wonderful words to hear and always welcome.

      Delete
  7. A genuine 'thank you' can go a long way in this world. I was brought up to say it and mean it.When someone says thank you it has to register in their eyes for me otherwise I know they are just paying me lip service. Of course here in Wales we say Diolch yn Fawr and you hear 'Diolch' said constantly in the shops etc. I like to hear it. It means people still have care and respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley - can't believe I'm so late in replying to all your comments eek! I like that notion of thanks registering in the eyes - it is far more powerful when meant! I agree re the care and respect - we need to constantly use it or else we lose it.

      Delete
  8. If everyone used just basic good manners we would probably be a more peaceful race of people. The thank you note is a delight to receive and certainly not a difficult thing to send. Your cards and lettering are beautiful, Fiona, and would have to gladden the heart of the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol! Thank you notes are indeed always welcome and often a lovely surprise. I think it doesn't cost us much...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.