Thursday, April 7, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

"People empty me. I have to get away to refill."

Charles Bukowski

I expect I am not alone in feeling like this sometimes and in no way does it mean that I don't love and care about my family and friends, and that I don't want to be with them.

I think it just means that sometimes I get exhausted by groups of people; of gatherings of people, especially of those I don't know all that well.

And my answer is simple. I have to get away.

It is a real sense of having been emptied, of having been drained and having no reserves left to deal with the world at large.

Like my mobile phone, I have to re-charge.


And what's not to love about the Scottish highlands and islands?

6 comments:

  1. (Almost) everything is to love about the Scottish highlands and islands! We visit the highlands regularly and the islands from time to time and the gentle northern light and sombre heather colours surprise me anew on each visit. Even the often relentless rain has its beauty. We find solitude and peace in the hills and come home revitalised. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret - it has been too long since our last visit here, it has an emptiness and soft ruggedness that really appeals. We have had sun and showers and rain, but it is all beautiful. Go well.

      Delete
  2. Yes. And what a heavenly spot you've gone to to recharge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too J - running away to Scotland is a fine thing to do!

      Delete
  3. You might enjoy the book "Quiet", by Susan Cain. It taught me so much about how some of us recharge. And you are right - the Highlands are so wonderful for doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rally enjoyed that book - such an interesting exploration of quiet in differ et ways and different places. I am drawn to quiet and silence - the Highlands and Islands offer me that for sure. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.