Tuesday, April 23, 2019

In conversation...

I mentioned a little while ago that I had work on show in the University of the Sunshine Coast Art Gallery's Exhibition from the Collection - Women's Work.

We had a great opening night and this Saturday, I will be in conversation with the Gallery Manager Megan Williams and two other artists Johanna DeMaine and Kym Tabulo. We will be talking about our practice, our process and our inspiration.

Saturday 27 April
11am -12pm
University of the Sunshine Coast Art  Gallery

If you are interested in coming along, you can register here.

I am thrilled with how the book is displayed - quietly and serenely.


One of my goose bump moments was when I realised I was in an exhibition with Eubena Nampitjin, an Aboriginal artist of great renown. We have been fortunate enough to collect one piece of Eubena's work and I love it so very much.

This shot shows my book and a glimpse of Eubena's work Kinyu 2008 - glee!


And then a detail of her work on show.


And the piece that hangs in our dining room area.



I also did a wee interview with the local telly. Which you can watch and listen to here 

It always makes me laugh what they film and record and what they use.  I thought I did an excellent bite about how fabulous it is to see women's art taking pride of place in a gallery; that for too long women's art was considered a leisurely pastime or hobby and they weren't taken seriously, yet here we see such fabulous professional women artists' work on display.

Nonetheless it is great to get televised coverage of local artists and exhibitions so I was thrilled.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful to hear your voice ... and thank you for introducing me to the work of Eubena Nampitjin ... I take great heart in seeing how many works she created after beginning to paint at age 65. The colors she used are so vibrant and rich (although I confess to loving her neutral monotones as well). I was also surprised by the scale of her works as depicted in some of the images on Google. How fortunate you are to have one of her paintings in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Liz, I too take great heart from Eubena and other coming of age late artists (another favourite is Minnie Pwerle and of course Rosalie Gascoigne). I love the painting we have - we were advised to buy the biggest we could afford; so ours is not one of her largest ones! So funny to hear myself!! Still you now have a sense of the Aussie accent. It was quite an orange post! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. always great to get glimpses isn't it Mo - when we can't be there. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Annick - great colours I thought! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.