Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Light and Love

In the spirit of good making, this book continued along without drama.  It came into being with all kind spirits sitting alongside me as I made and in the end, it is a small and precious thing.

I changed my mind on the colour of the gold.  My first choice was a bright and yellow gold for light and a softer silver for love.

I felt the silver disappeared too much into the paper and the the yellow as a bit bright and harsh.  Lucky for me I had some FineTec Lunar Gold - which is gentler and sits beautifully on the paper - says enough without shouting.  So I used it for both Light and love.


One of the lovely things about this book is I got to use some beautiful soft black leather gifted to me by a friend.  Her mum had made her a fabulous leather skirt many years ago and whilst cleaning up her place her mum couldn't bear to throw it away, so my fried wondered if I could use it. Oh yes please.

The covers are stitched to the pages, but have this beautifully simple and soft band that just holds it together.

I wanted it to feel protected, and yet accessible.  I didn't want to have to fight to get into the book; but I also didn't want to leave it utterly vulnerable.  I know. The hours I sometimes spend pondering these things.


But I love this resolution.

I used simple calligraphy throughout. Larger for the key words, smaller for the others.



Ruling pen as a contrast -  the energy of the lettering, the style and the colour give hope.





The papers that had been sitting in the studio for years, have suddenly come to life in the honouring of these words.  The soft Japanese paper from our last visit to Tatebayashi  works so beautifully, and give a moment's pause as you begin and as you finish.

Quietly and softly the words remind us of Light and Love.

The book will be on display at the Compassion Exhibition inNambour in June.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Mo - it is a quiet and reflective little book I think. Go well.

      Delete
  2. I sigh with the simple beauty of it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - simplicity and quiet beauty - oh to fill our days with that! Go well.

      Delete
  3. so nice and subtle - sigh . AB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annick - it is very quiet and gentle I think, a slow read, a slow turn of the page and a gentle reminder...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.