Thursday, April 11, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

“When you are deep into a book, it’s for yourself alone. But once you’ve finished, if it’s any good, you want to share it with others – rehearse the story, assess the characters, discuss what makes the book special…first engage, in private; then exchange in public”. 

Blake Morrison

This quote really struck a note today after I had asked a fellow book group member had she finished this month's book.

The book is challenging and difficult and confronting - the memoir Educated by Tara Westover.  Anybody who has read it probably knows that it  is a book that almost demands that you talk about it afterwards.

I was a bit sad that she hadn't finished it yet, so I couldn't fully share it with her, but I know that next week's gathering will be a powerhouse of a meeting.

I love both parts of the quote - the first bit where it is reminiscent of being so deep in a book, engulfed almost and completely immersed as you dive in and read it. And the second part of it where you rise up, pop your head above the water, look around and want to share it with others.

At times you almost actually need to share it with others, to process it, to exclaim in joy or wonder; to celebrate the magnificence of the writing; the magic of the words put together just so, to marvel at the resilience of individuals...or to condemn the brutality or the unforgivable behaviour or the awfulness of the characters...

Blake Morrison gets it so right - firstly engaging in private and then exchanging in public - these feel like the hallmarks of a good book.


4 comments:

  1. Such an intriguing review ... I've put a hold on a copy of Educated at our local library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be prepared Liz - it is beautifully written but oh dear, so very very tough. But my book the year so far! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Having gone down the rabbit hole with so many books, I find myself identifying completely with your post. I do want to share and talk about the books that have affected me deeply. I do feel like some books have changed me and I want to know if others have been likewise altered. I am now more interested in reading "Educated".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana it was so well described wasn't it!?!? We have all headed down the rabbit hole and come up for air and gasping to talk about it! Educated is a fine piece of writing, a remarkably wrought book of memory, resilience and integrity. Very hard to read in places, but well worth it for mine...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.