Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

There are only two feelings. 
Love and fear. 
There are only two languages. 
Love and fear. 
There are only two activities. 
Love and fear. 
There are only two motives, two procedures, two frameworks, two results. 
Love and fear. 
Love and fear. 

Michael Leunig

I came across these words many years ago and they have held me in good stead ever since.  At those moments when I am angry, or observing somebody's unnecessary behaviour; when friends do odd things or when somebody does or says something hurtful, I remember them.

I go back and think that we operate from only two bases - either love or fear.  Sometimes my anger is out of love, of empathy, of care; sometimes it is out of fear.

I try to take a moment to work out which one it is, and then dig deeper if needed.

When folk are hurtful I try to look for what they are frightened of; what risk or danger do they perceive?

And I think it truly can be this simple.

Love and Fear.

Let's go for love.


During our summer of landscaping I found this rock in our 'rock river'.  How could it be so perfectly shaped?

It welcomes folk at our door. Love.

6 comments:

  1. (((Fiona))) love Leunig and your beautiful heart of stone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leuning is a place I go to often for reassurance Mo...and how amazing is this rock?!?! I keep wondering if someone cut it to shape then dumped it in a truck load of quarried rock and hoped it would be found...which I did ten years after the rock river was laid!

      Delete
  2. F - such a simple and powerful quote - love and fear. Yes - choose love. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its amazing tome that it can come down to those two things - and it mostly does...and we should let love win!

      Delete
  3. how fear is love's opposite ... and such a fertile ground for hate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the essence of it isn't it Liz - that hate has its roots simply in fear...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.