Tuesday, September 17, 2019

To Shetland....

As mentioned we had a week away with a visit to Shetland and Orkney.  Shetland was a first for both of us and we loved every minute of it.

Here are some memories of our days there.

Enroute, we stayed overnight in Stromness in Orkney - the sky was blue.


At Kirkwall airport on Orkney there were mosaic panels like this detail - done by using floor coverings by three local artists - Sheila Scott, her husband Jim and her brother John Reed.  They were absorbing in their detail and helped pass the time during our three hour delay.


In the middle of town in Lerwick (across the road from Tesco) stands Clickimin Broch. Astonishing.  We walked out to it and over it and through it and just wondered at the skill and the talent and the skill and the ceremony involved with it all.  Brochs are a feature of the North and the Islands and are a fascination to me.


Our first night in Lerwick was perfectly still. We had fish and chips by the harbour (with plenty of seagulls) and wandered the docks until 8pm. Eating outside in Shetland in Autumn at 7.30pm was unexpected but delightful.

Its all about water and boats... reflections.



I loved this anchor.


Next day we visited Sumberg Lighthouse and this wall was so wonderful.


Jarlshof archaeological site was beyond belief and the most astonishing archaeological site I have ever visited.  Could not believe we were allowed to wander all over it as it moved from Stone Age to Iron Age, to brochs, to wheelhouses, to viking long houses, to medieval farms to a 17th century big house.

I said as I left, if you can hear a pinging sound that is my brain exploding.  It was that good.


We travelled to Scalloway and learnt so much more about the Shetland Bus at the museum there.  The 'Bus' ran dangerous and important trips between Shetland Norway to aid the Resistance during WW2.  Mind boggling stories in those treacherous seas and under the watch of armed German vessels.  This is the memorial.


For those who watch Shetland, here is Jimmy Perez's house! He wasn't home, but I delighted in learning that houses built into the sea like this are call "Lodberries".


We also visited Bonhoga Gallery which was a stunning building with a great shop and two beautiful exhibitions.  This work by local Mike Finnie made me happy.


There was so much to see and do and enjoy.  I was fascinated by the strength of the Scandinavian connection in architecture, houses and names.  Strong ties endure.

8 comments:

  1. That's a lovely trip, Fiona. I like the row boat with the whales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous mini-break Di- and I loved the whale and the rowboat too!

      Delete
  2. I am so enjoying your wanderings, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny - I shall continue to send thru bibs and bobs, as long as I'm not boring you!

      Delete
  3. goodness, there is so much here ... a rich feast in words and images

    so, what I liked best was learning the word "broch" ... thinking J.R.R. Tolkien must have had them in mind as he penned The Lord of the Rings ... and looking up how to pronounce "broch" in m-w.com I learned that it is also a Scottish term for a luminous ring around the moon ... wonder-full

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to learn about the luminous ring around the moon - I did not know that! We visited another stunning broch yesterday - they utterly amaze me and astonish me. Now i want tog look at the moon! go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.