Sunday, September 15, 2019

All in a day's...

We have been away for a week, visiting the Shetland Islands, and it was wonderful.  It was as far north as either of us have ever been and we had an amazing time.  Whilst we were away the weather was kind, so it was bit of a shock the system to wake this morning at the cottage to a gale blowing, about 50mph, gusting this way and that.

We managed our daily walk to the cove with some entertaining moments - both of us stuck on one leg  at times as the wind was so strong it stopped us putting the other leg forward and down!

So it was pretty much an indoor day today doing bits of this and bits of that.

The sea at the cove was wild and crashing.


The sun made a valiant effort to burst forth through the clouds.


And was rather marvellous to observe through the salt spray that was blown across everywhere.


I did some washing - you know when you have to make the most of a good drying day!?!

It was hilarious - I have never been so buffeted in my life, but I got it done. Barry was working in the shed and photographed me thru the window.

Note the pegs that have been blown over and into the fence; and the roof slate in the basket to stop it blowing further away!


In between times I have been slowly dyeing more thread and the work I am imagining is coming together more in my head and in scribbled notes in my book.

I had to purchase some new wooden pegs for rolling the threads onto and they arrived during the week, so I rolled the most recent batches, and labelled them.

I am quite fond of the devils-bit scabiosus, and the lichen (off a rock in our garden).


 Part of my job now is getting the proper names for everything so I have a good record.


And because I looked around the studio (i.e. kitchen bench, lounge room coffee table) and wondered what next? I pulled out the sticks we collected from the beach last weekend and the horse's hair and wool we had detached from a barbed wire fence and went off to make some brushes.


Who knows what might happen next or how they might get used, but they are ready and waiting in my tool kit!

Barry made a much tidier one from horses' hair than me.


But I think they have some potential!


All in all a pretty good indoor day...

4 comments:

  1. love the gentle colours you are gathering from the land

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - I think they are lovely and it intrigues what each garden produces. They are surprisingly harmonious and oh so gentle. I like them very much.

      Delete
  2. windblown laundry ... nothing better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gale blown it was Liz! And I was grateful it didn't blow all the way over to Orkney!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.