Thursday, September 12, 2019

Thursday Thoughts...

"A studio is a toolbox".

Ryan Gander

I am post-posting my Thursday Thoughts this week as we were travelling and I didn't manage to get them done; and I like the regularity of them, so felt like I should do one, even tho it isn't Thursday anymore (altho I have dated it for Thursday for the ongoing record...).

This wee one felt pertinent this week as I face the ongoing challenge of making art and being creative when I am away from my studio.  My studio is definitely a tool box for me - it holds my big machinery (the presses) which I can't take with me and it has all the bits that keep them going. It holds the odds things, the bits I use infrequently but when I need them, they are there.  Just like a tool box.

It has heaps of paper stacked and stored; here I can manage A4 at the most, and suppliers of beautiful papers are few and far between in the Highlands (altho a visit to Vintage Paper Company in Orkney is always on the list).

I guess a studio is also like a toolbox simply in that it holds the tools of your job - all the bits you need to do what you are doing, and in that way, whatever you call your studio (your box of bits, your table, your cupboard) is what you draw upon to get the job done.

My toolbox on the coffee table in the lounge room!


And on the cushions on the lounge itself...






2 comments:

  1. love that bit of green stitching to the right of your handmade books ... is it a pin and needle keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed - some old bargello embroidery on canvas i think...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.