Tuesday, February 2, 2021

A commission revealed...in parts.

 Way back when it seems, we were approached by a lovely man looking to have us make something for his wonderful wife's 50th birthday.  We love the pair of them and immediately said yes!!!

Whilst he wasn't sure exactly what he wanted, he did have some source material for us to reference, and then basically trusted us to come up with something.  Which was a rather nice brief.

The original materials were the metal stencils used to stamp the name of the property onto their bales of wool; along with an original map of the property with hand written notes and the like.



The metal was so gorgeous...



And the marks looked like a landscape.

The stencils were not to be used in the artwork we created - but rather were to inspire us, and they did!


You may recall I thought I had discovered my palette for this work back here... and looking at the image above you can see why above you can see why I felt happy with these papers! 


And the map - such a beautiful thing in its own right.



And so it began.

I worked on an artists' book and a wall piece; and Barry prepared a small sculpture. We arranged to have the map removed from its frame, carefully scanned at hi res and then re-framed (thank you Jame Frames and Mapuccino in Maleny).

More later. You know I love a process post!

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the next episode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a bit like Days of Our Lives, the next episode will reveal more! How ell.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking back to Christmas making ... how much I wanted to post where I was in the process, but not wanting to tip my hand to gift recipients

    and so here, watching and waiting for what looks to be a grand reveal at the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is worth the wait Liz! I really wanted to include these two in my end of year Top 10 but knew I couldn't; but somehow it feels like I am now ahead for the best of 2021, laugh!

      Delete
  3. so nice to see where all your inspiration came from. The objects are really nice too. Curious to find out what you'll be doing now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick - yes the materials really did keep me on track here. They sent me into lots of places, but I had to work with what I could, and somehow I think they all resonate beautifully in the end. A tiny bit of calligraphy awaits!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, it was a truly lovely meandering journey to a welcome result...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.