Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Connections

 I am involved in a piece of work that requires me to work with some metal and have been pondering how best to represent this work. I had one of those lovely serendipitous moments late on Sunday afternoon, just as I was about to close the studio and head home, where I went Oh this, oh that, oh yes!

Some of the metal - I love its marks and wear and tear and the colours.



I was working out how to link the metal to a book; what the covers might be, what the pages might be, how I might tell a story.  And I thought to myself I should check if I have some brown Canson I can rust.

I went to the paper drawer and found excitedly that yes, there was plenty of brown Canson!  

And then I thought, but was it brown I wanted or was it a dark grey? I hunted out my Peace Emerging books and realised the base paper colour was in fact the dark grey Canson. And I went to the cupboard and the cupboard was bare.

But then I thought I might still have some leftovers (or did I throw them out when we moved???). A forage through the remnants drawer made me almost pump the air with my fist with delight! Yes!
 

Woo hoo.


I think they are indicative of that metal...


And will be a lovely base for some words.


Sigh.


And then I started playing with possibilities to join in and found some more lovely scraps.  


I think we might have something...


This wee tree at our new house has been struggling, and expectations were very low.  

And then against all odds... the very definition of Spring.


Or maybe hope in the dark or something - we all need it right now.

4 comments:

  1. paper as metal ... fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a wonderful discovery/connection to make Liz - I think it could work!

      Delete
  2. The grey Canson is heartbreakingly beautiful. Fist bump indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana! I love how the rust adds depth; and how the dark grey lifts the rust - they belong together somehow...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.