Sunday, October 11, 2020

Posters, letters and back to sewing!

 I am re-finding my rhythms and beginning to test and try new ones.  Still a bit skittery scattery at times, but gradually focusing again.

Barry and I are holding a poster, mini-poster exhibition from November.  I figured I should probably get my act together and start printing a few so Friday saw me inning and printing.

I think these words are really important.  They speak to me of how we so often fear or vilify the other.  Those who are different to us; and the list can go on and on.  Making people "other" removes our humanity and our empathy.  I really wonder what a wonderful world it could be if we just stopped othering.


I did a few variations, plain, taped and untaped.


A few errors printing meant I cut down the poster to just this word.  Still deciding what to do with it, but I like it!

I was tidying the studio and simply strewed (is that a word? - I know that things are strewn, but the past of to strew is???) some cut letters across bookshelf for an artistic look. Probably the word I am really looking for is tossed!


I then went on to make a small poster of one of my mum's favourite sayings.

Laughingly I had to work out how to spell the word wimp.  And as it turned out, one of us had dissed the ds back into where the ps go and vice versa; so I had picked up a d which was a p and a p which was a d, so then had to take them out and switch them over. As well as turn an s the right way up.


I quite enjoy this one!


On Saturday I stayed home and decided to re-acquaint myself with my sewing machine. We have set up the second bedroom with a sofa bed; but its main purpose is on one side as a sewing room for me; on the other a jewellery making space for B; and in between a big bookcase.

I used up scraps from a dress I had made previously and made this simple top.  It is still one of favourite patterns and this time I added a small pocket along the hem because I make sure nearly everything I make now has pockets.  Them being political and all.

 
And then flowers.  I have made a commitment to myself and us to trying have fresh flowers in the house at all times now - scattered hither and yon.  The lavender is still going strong in the office and I refresh the larger vases regularly.  I decided on Thursday to try and  track down some beautiful flowers locally and  came across a newly opened florist shop.

I bought these Serruria Floridas and just love them!


And on our return walk from own this morning we came across these poppies and these bees.  I took photos, not the flowers.


So, yes we are working on slowing, on simplifying and on spending time quietly and gently and less quickly.

6 comments:

  1. posters and pockets and poppies ... oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your scattering of loose letters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too. I think I could get lost in your studio. But then, maybe I'd want to find all the fresh flowers strewn about. Stop Othering seems a great anthem for our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - I should scatter or toss or strew more often! The flowers have been added to twice today by my Dad and are making me smile heaps. Stop Othering is a goodie I think...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.